Monday, September 15, 2008

To Serve Man

Seeing the footage of the remake of TDtESS today got me thinking of classic sci-fi from 50's through the 70's.

There's certainly some good candidates: movies such as Westworld, The Black Hole, and 2001: A Space Odyssey and shows like Star Trek, and Dr. Who, Plus there's also the non-traditional ones like The Prisoner (which will one day warrant an entry of its own) and even The Wild Wild West.

For me, I think The Twilight Zone takes the prize as the best traditional sci-fi. Incredibly smart writing, a who's who of acting talent, and some definitely mind-warping plots. I remember watching re-runs at my grandparent's house when I was a kid, and the theme music would send shivers down my spine.



Some of my favorite episodes (warning, links have spoilers): "People Are Alike All Over," "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet," "The Invaders," and, of course, "To Serve Man."

Too bad they don't make TV like that anymore...

No comments: